Sunday, October 27, 2013

Long Beach to San Diego

We made the run from Long Beach to San diego in about 10 hours. It was still dark as we pulled away from the dock and headed south. It was comforting to see Spring Day traveling in our wake. The weather and seas where very pleasant. We had several dolphins play on our bow at various times along the way. I am always amazed at how easily they glide through the water. They twist and turn completely around when we clap and whistle to them.

I do have to admit that I was lazy and slept the majority of the day, not feeling 100%, we ate dinner the previous night at 5 Guys, not a good choice...

As we cruised closer to San Diego and could see Point Loma in the distance I got my camera out and took several pictures of the lazy sea lions that drape themselves over the pedestals of  the channel markers, the pelicans dive bombing into the ocean as they eye a tasty morsel below, or the various military ships we passed along the way. UNFORTUNATELY... I didn't have a card in my camera or I would share these snap shots of our arrival into San Diego...

We worked our way almost as far south as you can get on the channel to Marina 32. But, before we maneuvered our last turn we slowed down in a narrow portion to allow a large freighter to pass, it was being pushed  by a tug.  As we watched the enormous ship cross our bow,  our AIS  alarm squawked informing us we where to close to a target. Then a few minutes later another alarm sounded. This time it was a yellow warning light showing from our ECU, letting us know of a low fuel pressure situation on our main engine. Bill went to the engine room to investigate. Our racor gauges showed a read of 6, the upper limit should be 4 to 5 inches of vacuum. He decided to turned the racor selector valve to allow usage of both filters, he thought... Unfortunately, our lever is not labeled clearly and instead of selecting all, he accidentally turned it off. This caused us to quickly run out of fuel. In a matter of a few seconds, we where lucky enough to hear yet another alarm... and then the dreaded silence of our main engine.

I am not a seasoned boater. I don't enjoy the unexpected. When alarms go off I get nervous. When unfamiliar sounds develop I take notice. But this time I remember thinking it's okay. We have lived through this before. We can fire up our get home engine. I can drive while bill goes below and primes the main, and we will be on our way in a few minutes, and that is exactly what happened.

I am determined to learn as much as my none mechanical brain will allow. I'm aware that I drive Bill crazy with all of my very elementary questions regarding our systems, but I want to understand and learn them. I really need him to draw me pictures most of the time. He is learning patient with me because after all he does need a boating partner... So, this is how I understand it. He made a BIG MISTAKE by turning the valve to off, but who's pointing fingers?

To get fuel flowing back into the engine he turned on the priming pump that pushes 2 psi pressure into the system by priming the manifold on the engine by means of a quick coupler to the fuel pump. He attached the priming manifold to the quick coupler on the fuel pump, opened valving and operated the spring loaded manual fuel pump and bleed all the air out of the system. He closed the valve on the priming manifold and pumped the fuel pressure on the engine to 40 psi and the engine started. Yeah, what a nice sound.

 Prior to our departure in Portland we filled our fuel tanks. While fueling up we introduced a new fuel additive, Soltron, an enzyme fuel treatment.  It is labeled to improve fuel economy and reduce emissions, remove sludge and carbon deposits, clean injectors, carburetors, and fuel tanks, disperse water, bacteria and mold, stop engine knocking and pinging and increase fuel storage time. We have traveled close to 1200 miles so far on this journey. It is amazing how dark our racor filter was. We haven't seen a filter become so dark in such a short time. Our system was telling us the filter was getting to the end of it's life and to check it. Exactly what it's intended to do. Apparently this product works better than we expected.

We have been relaxing the past couple of days at the dock, meeting various fellow Fubar participants, and truly enjoying the beautiful weather in San Diego. We have a pool, hot tub and exercise room. We have had several competitive putting contests on the putting green next to the restaurant here at the marina, it's wonderful. Although I am missing my friends and family at home... I love you all and will see you for Christmas!



No comments:

Post a Comment